John Lindow (born 1946) is a professor emeritus (University of California, Berkeley) specializing in Scandinavian medieval studies and folklore. Lindow's works include Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Rituals, and Beliefs, a handbook for Norse mythology. He received his PhD in Germanic languages and literature from Harvard University in 1972 and began teaching at Berkeley in 1978.
In 1977 he was elected as a corresponding member of the Royal Gustavus Adolphus Academy. In 2018, he received the Knight's Cross of the Order of the Falcon at the Icelandic president's residence for scholarly contributions in the area of Icelandic medieval literature.
- Lindow, John (1976) Comitatus, individual and honor: Studies in north Germanic institutional vocabulary, University of California Press
- Lindow, John (1978) Swedish legends and folktales, Berkeley: University of California Press
- Lindow, John (1997) Murder Vengeance among the Gods: Baldr in Scandinavian Mythology, Helsinki : Suomalainen tiedeakatemia, Academia Scientiarum Fennica
- Lindow, John (2001) Handbook of Norse mythology, Santa Barbara, Calif. also published as Lindow, John (2001). Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-515382-0.
- Lindow, John (2014) Trolls: An Unnatural History. London: Reaction Books
- Lindow (2001:Rear flap).
- Curriculum vitae Archived 2010-07-11 at the Wayback Machine, 2007, retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "Nýir fálkaorðuhafar | Forseti.is". Forseti.is. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- Barnes, Michael (1978) Review of Comitatus, Individual and Honor: Studies in North Germanic Institutional Vocabulary by John Lindow (A revision of the author's thesis, Harvard, 1972), Speculum: A Journal of Medieval Studies, Jul., 1978, vol. 53, no. 3, p. 597-600
- Simpson, Jacqueline (1979) Review of Swedish Legends and Folktales by John Lindow, Folklore, vol. 90, no. 2, p. 244
- Hugus, Frank (1999) (Review of) Murder Vengeance among the Gods: Baldr in Scandinavian Mythology, by John Lindow, Speculum: A Journal of Medieval Studies, Vol. 74, No. 2 (Apr.), pp. 450-452
- Simpson, Jacqueline (2003) Review of Handbook of Norse Mythology, Folklore, Aug., 2003, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 275–76
- O’Donoghue, Heather (2014) From folk tales to internet pests - Review of John Lindow TROLLS An unnatural history, Times Literary Review 19 November 2014
|This biography of an academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|